Saturday, February 21, 2015

New Recipe - Steak Roll Ups

Em and I tried steak pinwheels (steak, cheese, spinach rolled together) a while back ... that Kroger had available in their deli. They were really good....but... really expensive. Almost $11...for 2. WOW. 

So I've been rolling it around in my head, trying to figure out how to do these at home - cheaper, but just as yummy. I came across some thin sliced steaks the other day.... and thought they'd be the perfect size to try this. The cost of 6 thin sliced steaks...$3.

The next step was to figure out what kind of cheese was in the pinwheels. Last night when I was grocery shopping, I stopped by the meat case and there they were ... the $11 pinwheels. It would appear the cheese used is Parmesan. Interesting. From there I went to the cheese department -- to try and figure out if it was possible - financially sound - to purchase a chunk of Parmesan. It was.. less than $2. 

The spinach --- I had purchased a box of mixed salad greens for salads and such ---- so I picked out the spinach leaves.

So --- for less than $6 I had all the ingredients to attempt this. Quite a bit cheaper!

 
Sliced the cheese. The actual cheese I used was Parmentino - a blend of parmesan and sharp cheddar. It's a good cheese -- strong, but good.
 
Layered the cheese slice on top of the meat, then a layer of spinach leaves. Rolled them up tight and pinned them shut with a toothpick. (Soaked the toothpicks in water beforehand) They aren't "pinwheels" ... so we named them "roll ups".
 
Covered them in foil and baked them for 15-20 minutes at 350degrees. Uncovered and turned the heat up for about 5 more minutes. Done!
 
 
 
Served with Parmesan couscous and a side salad of mixed greens. I think this is a pretty healthy meal --- and it turned out GREAT!!!
 
My take: Yum! I'm comfortable to experiment with this idea again.
Ems take: "Really good -- better than I thought it was going to be. Maybe even better than the other ones from Kroger."
 



No comments:

Post a Comment