Thursday, January 29, 2015

2015 Reading Challenge - Summer of My German Soldier


I chose this book for the category "Banned Book".  Discussing the challenge with a co-worker one day, we got to looking through a list of banned books and wondering why each one was banned....  We came across this one, set in "Jenkinsville Arkansas".  No worries - there is no such place. But, the storyline sounded interesting.... so I decided to bookmooch it.

It was a quick and easy read. A good story as well. I'm guessing the reason for it being banned is because it talks about Nazis and N*ggers.  The story is told from a 12 year olds viewpoint. She meets a Nazi prisoner and ends up becoming friends with him. He escapes and she provides him shelter and food.

I enjoyed it. It was neat to read about places in Arkansas that really are..... Jonesboro, Cummins Prison Farm (although it's no longer a prison "farm" per se), Little Rock, etc....

No comments:

Post a Comment