Sunday, January 4, 2015

New Recipe - Cheeseburger Soup

I came across this recipe on Pinterest....thought I'd try it - since it involved burger meat and not chicken like so many of my other recipes....  I had majority of the ingredients on hand, but I had to tweak it a little to fit what ingredients I did have. We contemplated back and forth a bit trying to decide what to eat this with -- cheese toast, bread, grilled cheese sammich, crackers, chips - but decided on plain ole Saltines.

Ingredients:
1lb ground beef, browned (I used ground turkey)
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped bell pepper
1 can diced tomatoes (I used Rotel for a lil extra kick)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp pepper
3 cups beef broth (I used 2 cans and a little water)
4 cups diced potatoes (I used a can of corn - didn't have potatoes on hand)
(and although the recipe doesn't call for it - I did a squirt (about tsp) of yellow mustard and a squirt (about two tsp) of ketchup --- you can't do "cheeseburger" without those two things!)

1/4 cup flour
1 cup milk
8oz cheddar cheese, shredded

Combine beef, onion, pepper, spices, tomatoes, broth and potatoes in crockpot.
Cook on low 8 hours.
30minutes before serving - combine flour and milk - whisk until no lumps, stir into soup.
**I didn't go the flour/milk route - I added about 1/2 cup of potato flakes as a thickener.

Add cheese, stir again.
**I didn't use shredded cheddar - I had a small chunk of Velvetta and a few cheddar cubes on hand, so I stirred them in until they melted.

Cover and cook until soup thickens.



My say::  ehhh... It was... ok.  I wasn't too impressed.... and it may have been that I veered to far from the original recipe. Who knows? ..there was just something about it that wasn't so great... Definitely sounds better - and smells better - than it tasted. Maybe it was the mustard??
Ems say:: she didn't like it....although she ate two bowls of it!  She said it needed LESS tomatoes and more onion.

Final say:: Tossing this recipe. We won't be doing this one again.

No comments:

Post a Comment