Friday, January 2, 2015

7 Chicken Freezer Meals

As I've mentioned in an earlier post, I'm addicted to Pinterest. I can spend hours scrolling through the DIY/crafts section.... then spend a few more hours scrolling through the recipes. I currently have over 900 recipes pinned.  How many of them have I tried since I've been on Pinterest (3-4 years, at least)...oh... maybe 2 or 3...at the most 5.  Sad, huh?  So -- my plan, this year, is to TRY MORE recipes!! I found a pin that has several recipes for freezer meals. I scrolled through and wrote down a few that I thought Em and I would like. I came up with a total of 7... and they all ended up being chicken recipes. That's ok. Chicken is good for you, right?

So, here you have it.  7 "EASY-to-throw-together-and-pile-in-a-Ziploc-freezer-bag-with-the-plans-to-throw-them-in-a-crockpot-later" freezer meals. Each of these listed below don't have "serving sizes" --- I've catered them to a meal for two.... so mainly each bag has 2 large chicken breasts or 4 small breasts. For each of these recipes... it directs you to thaw the night before and drop in the crock pot the next day for 4-6 hours on low. (I'll know more about how THAT works once we get into cooking these meals)

BBQ Chicken
chicken breasts
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 1/2 cup bbq sauce
(added about 1/4 cup chopped bell pepper, cuz I had some left over)


Chicken Terriyaki  (plan to serve with white rice)
chicken breasts
1 cup soy sauce (used the "light")
1 cup sugar
1 tsp garlic salt


Honey Garlic Chicken
chicken breasts
5 garlic cloves
1 tsp oregano
3/4 cup soy sauce (used the "light")
1/4 cup ketchup
1/2 cup bbq sauce (calls for spicy honey, but just used regular)
1/3 cup honey
pinch salt
dash pepper

Orange Chicken (plan to serve with white rice)
chicken breasts
1 orange
1/4 cup soy sauce (used "light")
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/8 cup honey
1 tbsp. minced ginger (I omitted)
1 tbsp. minced garlic

Chicken Fajita (plan to serve between tortillas)
chicken breasts
2 bell peppers (sliced into strips)
1 onion (sliced into strips)
1/2 cup chicken broth (I used a whole can)
1 pkg taco seasoning
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp salt


Chicken Brocoli Alfredo (plan to serve over noodles)
chicken breasts, cut into chunks
16oz frozen broccoli (I used 12oz, that's how the pkg comes)
16oz alfredo sauce
1 green bell pepper, chopped (I used about 3/4 bell pepper)


Cilantro Lime Chicken
chicken breasts
juice from 2 limes
1 bunch of cilantro, chopped
16oz frozen corn (I used 12oz, that's how the pkg comes)
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 red onion, chopped
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
pinch of salt
dash of pepper
*I would probably add a little bit of chicken broth to this recipe... it's not really "juicy" -- so when we drop it in the crock pot, I'll be adding some broth to it.

In preparing all of these freezer meals, the main thing I learned...and I'm glad I did... was to do the Cilantro Lime LAST. My hands smell strongly of lime and cilantro... which isn't a bad thing, but I'm afraid if I would've done it first, then the rest of the meals would've had a hint of lime and cilantro.

After about 3-4 hours in the kitchen, each bag is labeled and tucked away nicely in the freezer .... ready for the crockpot!  I can't wait to try these new meals! I actually think Em was a bit excited as well!  I'll be posting our reviews as we try them.


No comments:

Post a Comment